Monday, 2 March 2009

What fairtrade means to me...

At the beginning of this gap year I had heard of fairtrade through a friends mum. And I did vow to only buy fairtrade chocolate, however, the vow was as far as it went because I forgot and then couldn't really be bothered.



And then when I arrived here, I met Steve and he was kinda onboard with the whole thing. I didnt enjoy the disruption to my lifestyle and I didnt appreciate the talk at training on fairtrade. I knew it was an issue but I didnt want to confront it. So instead of confronting it, I made fun of Steve. Slowly, I let it sink in, and realised the implications, how disgusting it was that we're at a point where we feel generous and sacrificial when we allow someone else a fair wage, something we demand.



This started me being alot hotter on the whole thing. And I would happily judge others and tell others about fairtrade and try my bestest to buy fairtrade stuff. Of course, when I needed footy boots immediately, fairtrade wasn't an issue. I am very poor with determination and so I knew that if I made a "vow" I would probably break it. But I also saw that in my moments of "revelation" if you like, how much it meant to people. And so I settled in getting fairtrade whenever I could, and yes still juding slightly those who didnt.

However, it all sorta got a bit shattered when I went for coffee with someone I respect and look up to and they said they didnt find it an issue, that its the big companies that need to change. Now, Im not saying what he said was right, but it made me think. Would Jesus make it a big deal? I'm not saying he wouldnt be for it, he absolutely would. But, would that be the issue? Is there something bigger and something more important going on when we choose fairtrade than just fairtrade? It's a great cause, one I am behind, but if I ever get legalistic about it, get so passionate about it that it owns me, that guilt hangs over me when I buy one Mars Bar, is that good?

Jesus was not bound by anything yet subject to all. The story of when the woman uses all her perfume on her feet, the question was posed...couldn't that have been sold and the money given to the poor? And yes it could, and that would have been good, right? What was it about Jesus that he was free? He had been preaching justice for the poor and yet he let this thing slide?! It intriques me and I think has implications for causes such as fairtrade. Yes, I am absolutely behind it, and yes I will go out of my way to buy fairtrade, but I think that I wont let it own me. Fairtrade, at the end of the day is about justice, and justice is about redemption and redemption comes back to Christ.

So it does matter to me, and I am behind it and I want to celebrate it and I want to worship Jesus thorugh it and I want to learn from him through it and I want to know him through it but I want to be like the lady with the perfume too.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Great honest blog Sam - like it that you're looking bigger than Fairtrade. I've been having an interesting chat with an Development Economist friend of mine about the pros and cons of Fairtrade. One things for sure it has raised the issue of ethical trade and justice for the poor. Like you say its part of our worship but we sure still need to have freedom in Christ.